Today marks 6 weeks from the day I hired my first Virtual Assistant. There have been some ups and definite downs. While my experience will probably be different than others in the Reselling Community, mine might be helpful nonetheless.
- I hired 2 virtual assistants and a ‘real’ assistant. One was assigned to list on my smaller Ebay store and Poshmark, the second was to list on my larger Ebay store and the third was to package and ship. Today, I have one virtual assistant taking care of 2 Ebay stores and one shipping assistant.
- The first virtual assistant was not a ‘fit’ for what I needed. He charged a higher fee and could not complete the work on time. He tried to appeal to me on a personal level as to why his work was unsatisfactory to the point that I was actually emotional and drained when I let him go.
- I also found out that no one outside my country could access Poshmark. I have not found a VA in the United States willing to be paid $1 a listing.
- This past week, my virtual assistant listed 90 items in 14 hours for $57. 63 cents a listing. My shipping assistant receives $2 per package.
- Here is my math: One pair of Levi Jeans sells for $20. I purchased it for $2, Listed it for $1, packaged it for $2, Ebay and Paypal receive $3, and shipping is $6.30. Profit is $5.70 or 29% profit.
- My total listings in one month went from 200 to 500.
- According to Ebay, my sales have increased the past 30 days by 89% in my smaller store and 169% in my larger store.
- I ended every listing that was not clothing so that my stores looked like a clothing outlet and not a thrift store. All items that did not sell within the 1st week are placed on a 20% off sale. All items not sold in 30 days are auctioned off beginning at .99 with $6.30 shipping.
- All of this sounds wonderful, and it is. I am so grateful each morning and cannot wait to begin working. Nothing is perfect and there have been some pitfalls. I (me personally) need to catch up my assistants and sales.
- I am working longer hours each week. Monday, Tuesday, 1/2 Thursday, 1/2 Saturday and Sunday. Each day is from 7am to 6pm. I am either photographing, entering information on a spreadsheet, or desperately seeking the sold item that needs to be shipped.
- I did not change my inventory system that is not detailed enough to handle 750 items! My house might qualify for a Hoarders Episode simply because every wall has boxes of inventory against it with words such as Women’s jeans. Some are boxes of clothes that have been photographed and in the spreadsheet. Thankfully, because I have kept up with sourcing, there is only a small ‘death pile’ box.
- So today, #JewelsForThePauper is officially closed. The phone and computers will be shut off. All inventory taken out of boxes and sorted into brands and sizes.
- Some other day, I will be clearing out my original office (decimated when our college graduate moved home for a few months) so that my business can continue function.
Hiring assistance (assistants) was definitely needed in order to grow my business. For the most part, it has gone smoothly and I am happy with the results. I just forgot adjust my inventory system to catch up with the growth!
Excuse me while I shut this computer down for the day …….