They look adorable and they are making a comeback! Perhaps they never left. Maybe they sat in the background, waiting for the perfect time to show their faces once again.
No, I am not talking about the trolls in the picture. I am talking about the trolls, naysayers and other discontents that are on social-media. They can strike at any time. The strategy you use can be the difference between you gaining respect by your followers or allowing these cyber-bullies to ruin your day.
They are everywhere!
Over a decade ago, I helped moderate a forum. People you have never met personally, coexisting in harmony for the purpose of allowing free speech on an internet forum. It sounds like sunshine and roses, until you wake up to find that a new member has put advertising for porn sites on every thread. You delete the posts, delete the member, but the next morning you find the same thing! So you disallow the IP address, only to find that they are spoofing their IP. All of that work and emotion to get rid of this pest that clearly does not add value to your forum.
They never really left!
Fast forward to Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and other media sites that run much the way the forums did a decade ago. Trolls also act much they way they did a decade ago. The difference between then and now is that we have a larger audience and more of us are trying to earn a living wage. Trolls can affect whether or not we can pay the power bill!
Don’t be held hostage!
As Deputy Barney Fife said…”Nip it, Nip it, Nip it in the Bud.”. (Google it) As resellers, we try to treat each person like a potential customer. Unfortunately we can’t when the person is acting like a 2-year-old, screaming to get your attention. It gets the attention of others and detracts from your mission. You have to be like a DayTrader and react quickly to whatever this Troll, NaySayer or Discontent has brought to your table.
You are lying, your items are crap, you are a charlatan and you don’t belong here!
I recommend the following steps. Perhaps Step 1 will accomplish the job but do not be afraid to advance to step 6 if it continues.
- Be above reproach and react respectfully. This does not usually work, but it is good for your other followers to see.
- Ask them to discuss this with you privately as it detracts from your purpose and mission.
- Delete their comments and remove their ability to post publicly.
- If it cannot be resolved with a few private messages, remove their ability to contact you.
- Report them. Don’t waiver from this because the Troll you deal with today might be another reseller’s Troll tomorrow.
- Report them to law enforcement. There are laws that prohibit Trolls and Cyber-Bullies. Familiarise yourself with them and react. Do not fool yourself into thinking that they will eventually walk away, if it has gotten this far.
If you have any suggestions or comments, please feel free to comment below.
If you have enjoyed this blog and want to be notified when future ones are posted, just press the subscribe button below.
Where every item is Fit for a Queen
Priced For the Pauper!